Senator demands U.S. seize waterway it's already blocking
Senator Lindsey Graham called on President Donald Trump on April 19 to "take" and "control" the Strait of Hormuz [1][2], the same waterway the U.S. blockade is designed to prevent Iran from using to sell its oil [5]. The contradiction exposes the circular logic of a nine-week conflict that has cost at least $25 billion, killed 13 American service members, wounded 365, and trapped 20,000 seafarers on hundreds of vessels [3][4] while both nations fight over a chokepoint through which a fifth of the world's traded oil and gas passes in peacetime [5].
Graham's call came as Trump announced "Project Freedom," a military operation beginning Monday involving guided-missile destroyers, more than 100 aircraft, and 15,000 service members to "guide" stranded ships through the strait [4]. Iran called the announcement "delirium" [4]. Ebrahim Azizi, head of the national security commission of Iran's parliament, said any interference would be seen as a ceasefire violation [4]. The U.S. blockade, meanwhile, continues to prevent Iran from exporting oil through that same waterway [5].
How both sides weaponized the same chokepoint
The escalation loop began February 28, when the U.S. and Israel struck Iran [4]. Iran responded by effectively closing the strait [4]. The U.S. launched Operation Epic Fury in late February, conducting large-scale strikes against Iranian military infrastructure [3]. Iran demanded the U.S. lift its blockade. The U.S. demanded Iran reopen the strait. Graham urged Trump in March to seize Kharg Island, Iran's major oil hub [3]. A fragile three-week ceasefire was agreed to on April 7 [5]. Trump extended it indefinitely last week [5]. At least two dozen attacks have occurred in and around the strait since the war began [4].
Each side now holds the other's access to the waterway hostage. Iranian officials asserted they control the strait and that ships not affiliated with the U.S. or Israel can pass if they pay a toll [4]. The U.S. blockade prevents Iran from selling oil to fund its government [5]. Iran offered to end its chokehold on the strait if the U.S. lifts its blockade and ends the war, postponing discussions on Iran's nuclear program [5]. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that any deal must definitively prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons [5]. The negotiation deadlock persists because neither side can afford to concede control first.
The toll of fighting over an unusable waterway
The spot price of Brent crude closed above $108 per barrel on Monday, about 50% higher than when the war began [5]. Oil and gasoline prices have skyrocketed ahead of crucial midterm elections [5]. The blockade has damaged strategic alliances, stalled global trade, and thrust the world into an energy crisis [3]. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz criticized the U.S. for going into the war with no strategy [5]. French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said the crisis began after the U.S. and Israel struck Iran without clear goals [5].
Graham, who has spent much of his federal career backing policies to isolate Iran and limit its missile and nuclear programs [3], argued on April 19 that existing economic measures were inflicting significant damage on Iran's economy and that IRGC attacks on international shipping were a sign of desperation [1]. He urged Iran to "choose wisely" by opening the strait and pursuing a peace deal [2]. He stated he is "completely convinced" the U.S. will use "overwhelming military force" if the strait does not reopen imminently [2]. Trump issued a 48-hour ultimatum warning that "all Hell will reign down on them" if Iran does not comply [3].
Graham stated on Monday that he supports "diplomatic efforts to end the conflict consistent with our military objectives" [3]. The formulation reveals the bind: diplomatic resolution requires one side to yield on military objectives both have made non-negotiable. Dozens of nations repeated calls to open the strait in a joint statement led by Bahrain [5]. UN Secretary-General António Guterres told the Security Council that the humanitarian toll is mounting [5]. America has been at war with Iran for more than nine weeks, with some cost estimates exceeding $70 billion [3]. An F-15 pilot remains missing after being shot down over southwestern Iran [3]. Graham opposed any revival of a nuclear agreement resembling the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action [1]. Iran's proposal would postpone the nuclear discussions the U.S. insists must come first [5].
Graham dismissed the Iranian proposal as "a non-starter" and reiterated that Tehran must halt uranium enrichment before any negotiations can begin [2]. He warned that time is running out for a diplomatic solution, adding that "the window for Iran to avoid catastrophic consequences is closing rapidly" [3]. The senator concluded by saying he would brief the full Armed Services Committee on Tuesday regarding military readiness for expanded operations [1].